Monday, July 26, 2010

IT'S ALL OVER..MAYBE WE'LL TAKE A MONTH OFF!!!

The weekend show went SUPER! We sold a ton of stuff..Nature Boy (my husband) actually only sold about $40 less than I did. He is just busting out with his art. I am so proud that there is so much interest in his work. It's really cool to do our booth together...On one side you get ME...my art that slaps you in the face with vibrancy and color, and on his side you get earthy, antique-y toned down color. So, we appeal to a lot of people...(if they don't like one of us..they usually like the other). Our neighbors at the show didn't seem to fare as well. They were complaining that sells "weren't so good"..and I think one of them got a little tee-d off at me, because he wanted to trade and I wouldn't. My problem with trading is that I simply don't buy much art. I don't have the space for it, and it ends up getting lost in the art studio. YOU ALL KNOW how my studio EATS things...never to be seen again...Then I'll find it 2 years later..and wonder where the heck it came from.

I met one woman at the show that had a wonderful product. She made tassles, and they had really cool toppers. I fell in love with them..which shocked me, because I am not a tassle-y type. I am very basic in my decorating, but these things were GREAT. She said she was going to start a blog, so as soon as she does--I will gladly share her with you.

On top of it being HOT AS HADES this weekend, everything went pretty smoothly. One of problems was that I didn't have enough stuff. I thought I did, but I didn't. It worries me, because in Sept., I have TWO shows back to back, and therefore I will need a MEGA-TON of stuff for both shows. I am trying to figure out how many of different sizes I will need...and trying to figure out if I can do ENOUGH in one month to cover both shows. I think I can..I think I can..I think I can...(I'll just keep repeating this to myself!) LOL. I think the safest thing to do is take all of August off from selling, and just paint, paint, paint.

The painting above is another that I have done using the technique of painting the whole painting, then blocking out areas (similar to Jesse Reno's style, but much less complicated)...I was inspired to try to figure this out by a post on Facebook by Paulette Insall, which sent me to her blog post HERE, which then sent me to a woman's blog named Michelle. I loved both of the pieces that these women had done, and I have been working on the flowers using the same method before finding these two...so, finding them just helped me right along...and I found a video of Jesse Reno on his blog, and it showed a more in-depth style of doing it all...and now I am totally addicted to this method of painting...It's CRAZY FUN..and super easy until you get to the blocking out part..LOL. One thing I found (Jesse teaching a class somewhere) said to only use white,black, red, yellow and blue paints. He does A LOT of his painting with his hands and fingers only too..which is quite fascinating. Also, he paints over a lot of things. One lady that had taken his class said that she "fell in love too soon, and didn't continue to paint over her painting"...that happens to me with this style. I don't like to keep pushing it and pushing it like Jesse does. He is simply amazing, and definitely in my top 5 favorite artist! Another thing that I really admire about him is that he paints and paints and paints...Constantly. If you see pictures of his studio, there's always a gazillion paintings laying around...Anyway..enough rambling..I need to go back to bed...for stage 2 of my recuperation..hehehehe Live Artfully!!

2 comments:

Cheryl Connell said...

Suzan,

Have you ever thought of making prints? YOu could scan parts of your paintings and knit them in photoshop and then print them onto archive paper. They could sell for 15-20 and if they are numbered - more and that would give people an different option and also give you tons of stock!
Love the new style and very inspiring.

Cheryl

Sueann said...

Congratulations on your sales and your hubby's too! That is super cool!
And those tassels sound interesting...you will have to share for sure.
Get some rest...you are going to need it
Hugs
SueAnn