Tuesday, June 2, 2009

THE GREAT MASTERS OF ITALIAN ART AND ME..LOL..WORK IN PROGRESS

Today, I did some much needed responsible things around the house. So did Nature Boy. He got the job of cleaning the computer room, and found a HUGE book that I had bought sometime last year (I think)...anyway..I bought it, and never saw it again...TYPICAL of my book-eating house!! It regularly eats books that I KNOW I OWN..and sometimes the house hides them for MONTHS..LOL..
This book is called The Great Masters of Italian Art. It's a huge coffee table edition, with beautiful close ups of some awesome paintings!! The picture on the left is on the cover. I have spent a good 3-4 hours staring at this book today. All the detail, and intricate painting, it just fascinates me. Tonight, I decided to TRY to paint from it. So..I sat the book on my art table, and put a block of wood next to it, and started painting. (I rarely draw first with a pencil, but I did use a small paintbrush to "draw" it out). This is as far as I've gotten. I haven't started working on the flesh tones yet, but just the highlights and shadows. Just thought I would show you a work in progress. I might have to stop for the night, and do a few pieces that are faster...but, I thought this was cool in how it's turning out so far.
Live Artfully!
Suzan

4 comments:

Lauren T said...

I think it looks like quite a good stylistic piece as it is now. Can't wait to see the finished thing.

Natalie B said...

what a fabulous idea to use a piece of art like that and make it your own... i like yours better :-) than the original

Seth said...

Looking good! Look forward to seeing her as she progresses.

Art by Darla Kay said...

very cool idea! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece!