Sunday, January 24, 2010

::::SIGH::::



Wow...it stormed like crazy last night, enough to wake me up several times. I need a nap..Of course, I need a nap every day (just like a pre-schooler...LOL). It's one of the guilty pleasures of my otherwise mundane life..LOL. I love to sleep, and I love to nap. Almost every day, I will be lying on the couch, bundled up, and Nature Boy will ask me if I am going to sleep..and every day I say..."no honey, I am just cold"..(doesn't matter if it's winter or summer..hehehe) Then, I go to sleep. He must ask me out of habit...LOL...and obviously I just answer out of habit, because we always have the same conversation..and the result is always the same...zzzzzzzzzzzz....a nap.

Yesterday, I painted two large paintings. I am learning some new things...One, painting LARGE is MUCH easier than painting small. Two, it is definitely easier painting when your painting is in an upright position and your arm is slightly out in front of you. I have always painted with the wood lying flat on my art table, and since I am rushing to get enough paintings with a show (I have done 8 this week!!)...and they are larger paintings than I am accustomed to..I am having to change my evil, lazy ways. I have been a lazy artist this past year, and I say this because it is much harder on your arms and shoulders to paint the proper way, with your painting standing in front of you...but it's better. I was stressing because stupid me sold my easel last year, thinking that I never used it, so why have it sitting around....and so I have been painting right handed, while holding my painting on the table with my left hand. This was murderous to say the least...LOL..So, I had to find a way to work. I asked Nature Boy to PLEASE build me a tabletop contraption to lean my paintings on...and as he was doing this, I spotted a big wooden thing that we had picked up at an estate sale a longgggg time ago. I had bought this large, heavy triangle shelf thingie..and it has been sitting in our garage for years. It wasn't practical to use the little shelves, and so there it sat..until yesterday. It's about 3 feet tall, weighs a mega ton, and is only about 12 inches wide. It's triangular, with the backside being straight up, and it works beautifully!!. I just had Nature Boy put it on my tabletop, and now I can prop my larger pieces with the greatest of ease!!! It should increase my production by 100% at least.

The devil painting above is acrylic on wood, and it's HUGE...29 inches long. It was fun, fun, fun to do..I am going to continue to paint larger. I like it!

Well, The DOG THAT ADOPTED ME ran away. He left about 5-6 days ago, and hasn't returned. I am not sad about it. He was more wild than domesticated, and needed his freedom. We did look for him, and we went to the county animal shelter and made sure that he wasn't picked up, or taken in. He wasn't there, but I think I am going to start volunteering there one day a week. It'll be good to get out of the house, and I can love all of those animals, and not get two attached.

On the bloggie front. I have compiled a list of all the things that you all wished for, and am going to be working some tutorials up for you all as soon as I get this gallery showing out of the way.

That's about all folks..I have rambled about useless nothingness for long enough this morning. I need to do one of two things...I either need to go paint, or take a nap..I wonder which it will be..hehehe.
Live Artfully!!
suzan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Size matters! Love the rambling.

Jazz said...

I like the devil in a blue dress.

Unknown said...

I love painting big!!! My works were just not selling like before the economy went south, so I have been going smaller and they are buying them. I agree with you that small painting are so much harder. When the economy gets better I will go back to big!! (and that is not soon enough) ====sigh==== Have fun on your paintings.

Sueann said...

Big is definitely better as far as I am concerned. Glad you were able to find a contraption to hold your work while you are painting! That is super! And your work is amazing, by the way! Love them all!
Hugs
SueAnn

Ronnie said...

I enjoyed this post. Like sitting having coffee with someone else who likes to paint and knows the trials and tribulations. I like big too and use a BIG ROCK on my table to lean them on! I like to stand up and inevitably get a neck and backache from bending over for hours. I need to make my table higher I guess. You have me thinking.

Anonymous said...

Alright!!! Painting BIG are ya??? Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!