Saturday, April 25, 2009

FOLK ART ANGELS -- 12 MORE HOURS and AN EARLY ARTISTIC MEMORY

The one above is my favorite so far. She is Crystal. The Ice Princess.
Bad picture--that is a black crow on her dress. Her name is Lucy.

Can't remember this one's name.

Nor this one's.

I named this one (above) Elisa..after my childhood/life-long friend. The one that recently contacted me. The one that became an art teacher!!! WWOOOHOOOO!!

I can't remember this one's name either. They are all packed up, or I would go look. But, that's what I have been doing for the last couple of days.

I had a long-time friend contact me recently, and she had me thinking about my childhood, and the art that I use to create--(which was a gazillion times better than the stuff I do now, in my humble opinion)...and I thought back to when I was about 8 years old. I may have been younger, but I know it was during the "horrible salad bowl hair-do" stage of my life, and thankfully, by the time I was 9 or so, my hair had grown out, and my grandmother (who raised me), had stopped her revengeful chasing of my head with that damn salad bowl. (I think to this day, this woman had it out for me...). Anyhow--I specifically remember a picture of a horse. This picture stays in my mind, because upon burying my wonderful grandfather 25 years later.. we found this picture amongst a ton of others that I had previously drawn, glued or colored. This horse was top quality hand drawn, perfectly shaded, meticulous in every way. It was a perfect rendition of a beautiful animal. My family thought that I was a savant, I'm sure!! They must have KNOWN that I was magically gifted beyond anything that was ever imagined. The other part of this memory is that my then "partner-in-crime" (my grandfather) had bought me a HUGE pack of tracing paper one of our trips to the store. I could trace like no other. Then a teacher at school (I carried my tracing paper everywhere, it never left my side) showed me that if I scribbled on the back of the tracing paper, that I could Trace, Scribble and TRANSFER...and POOF!! I would have a perfect drawing on paper..LOL...silly family..they never knew.


Ok..enough of my childhood mentally deranged memories...I have exactly 11 hours and 45 minutes until my alarm clock goes off, and I shower, and go to the BIG SHOW. I am surprisingly very, very calm. I am still painting, and working on stuff, getting ready. Though --FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE--I DID NOT procrastinate myself into a TIZZY...I have slowly, but surely doing bit by bit, and now really all that is left is minor, insignificant stuff. So..I am ON MY WAY!!

Live Artfully!

Suzan

5 comments:

Mary said...

Funny story Suzan!! Love the angels.
Wishing you great success tomorrow.
Hugs

Chrisy said...

Best of luck honey!

marthaberry said...

I hope you sell everything! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Susan! What a lovely blog you have here. Thanks for posting the link.
Jane

Jazz said...

Oh, I love these. Hope it goes well, although obviously it's past now and I'm just in catch up phase of your blog - my painting wasn't as fun as your kind. Painting most of an apartment is hell - and I didn't have time to do the blog reading or I'd probably still be painting. And I know this is long winded and makes no sense.